Thursday 7 January 2010

Boom Da


I don't usually do this but in this case I feel that it is worth it. If you're wondering what I'm talking about, it is the fact that this post is not a showcase of an artist, not a list of must-hear tracks, but rather a post about one song; a song that has been blowing my socks off every time I've heard it for the past couple of weeks now. I was going to save it for the next TFI Friday post but instead I've decided to unleash it into the blogging atmosphere right now. As you may have already guessed by the post title, the track is called Boom Da and it is done by Brazilian husband and wife production and DJ team Mixhell. If you've been paying attention to the electro scene and, in particular, Soulwax, the name will likely ring a bell, as the latter has been using them as support on the majority of their recent tours over the past year. To those not in the know, Mixhell is comprised of ex-Sepultura and current Cavalera Conspiracy (a band who, alongside the likes of Grooverider and HEALTH, are the ones I regret most missing at Pukkelpop this year) drummer, Iggor Cavalera and his wife who mans the wheels of steel.

As you can no doubt imagine, it is an extremely interesting concept that hasn't really been done to this extent before. Sure, Digitalism have a similar thing going on with their live sets but there is really no comparison between the two. As Iggor is famed for his rough and hardhitting playing style, it is no surprise that he is backed up by some seriously savage beats from his wife. Part of the reason I find it so hard to produce tracks using programs is because of the drum samples. The vast majority of them come across in an almost 'plastic-y' way and they nearly always sound manufactured. Considering almost any instrument is easy to replicate if you have the right tools at your disposal, its somewhat surprising that drumming effects sound so lacklustre. Of course, there is equipment to remedy this issue, but nothing comes close to live drumming, which is why it is such a pleasant surprise that Mixhell have tapped into this. At a recent Soulwaxmas concert, I was quite literally blown away by the sheer intensity of their style, to the point where I found it hard to bust a groove due to being so encapsulated by his hardhitting, rhythmic techniques and her complimentary DJing ability. Such a rare treat only comes around every once in a while so I savoured every moment like it was my last.

Credit where credit is due, however, Mixhell isn't the only one that takes this Boom Da track to the next level, after all it is a Les Petits Pilous remix. You probably know about them by now as their breakthrough hit Wake Up has been doing the rounds more and more over the past year or two and their remix of The Proxy's Raven is one of the best out there to this date. Needless to say, without them, this track isn't quite as compulsory as they add a dimension that isn't in the original. It really is sickeningly good. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't been feeling a lot of the recent output from electro DJs and duos in recent times as I feel too many people are trying to cater to that fidget/wobbly sound that has become the latest fixation in dance music. I wouldn't go as far to say I hate that type of music, but I just don't think it fits the music as well as a grinding synth supporting by a pounding bass and drum line. To me, electro music is all about the build up and the breakdown. While the build up serves as a core component within the music, if the payoff isn't worth it then it isn't going to do it for a dancefloor. With Mixhell - Ba Doom (Les Petits Pilous Remix), it is not only consistent but it is also extremely dirty. I have been missing music like this for quite some time: relentless, filthy, grinding bombshells that get people moving. Though I doubt I'll be hearing this at any clubs in the near future, I'm gonna regularly drop it into any sets I do from here on out. Rather than suggesting the same, I can go one better. Get yourself a pair of 5.1 speakers, turn up the bass and blast the roof off your house. It'll be worth it.

Expect more coverage (and possibly a showcase post) in the future.

Mixhell - Boom Da (Les Petits Pilous Remix)

No response to “Boom Da”

Leave a Reply