Saturday 30 January 2010

R.I.P 120 Minutes


A year ago today the highly influential music program 120 Minutes shut its doors seemingly for the last time. Having ran on and off since 1990, the show had build up a reputation of not only playing the latest and most cutting edge artists, but also the most innovative artists in the rock, electronic and leftfield genres. To the delight of music lovers in Europe, the program featured no commercial or MTV promotional breaks. The reason it was able to get away with pushing the boundaries so far out was because of the time slot: 1am - 3am. It was quite literally two hours of non-stop alternative music which could range from hip-hop to avantgarde and anything in-between. There were no conventional limitations in what was played and although some of it tended to be hit and miss, the good frequently outweighed the bad. As clichéd as it might sound, there was something for everyone and many new discoveries were made through this program alone.

Out of nowhere then came the announcement that 120 Minutes was to shut up shop. The move prompted much criticism of MTV and though there was a petition made to save it, ultimately there was little anyone could do. Given the unusual time slot and the overall popularity of the show, its cancellation shocked and appalled many regular watchers who deemed the move as 'the death of unconventional music television'. Although due to university commitments, the majority of developments regarding the situation passed me by and I was unable to watch the final episode, coming back to the realization that it is not here anymore has left me feeling disillusioned with the state of music channels on the whole. It is no secret that its absence has left a void within music television that may never heal properly. It is only when it is gone do you realise just how little there is to watch on the music channels at night. R.I.P. 120 Minutes, it was good while it lasted and we may see eachother somewhere down the line.

As I'm dedicating this post to the program, I've decided to go with some of the most influential and innovative artists or tracks I discovered through the show. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

65daysofstatic - Drove Through Ghosts To Get Here
Au Revoir Simone - Fallen Snow
Cornelius - Drop
DJ Mehdi - I Am Somebody
Elektrons - Get Up
Kavinsky - Testarossa Autodrive
RJD2 - Work It Out
UNKLE - Burn My Shadow

No response to “R.I.P 120 Minutes”

Leave a Reply